Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sunday wanderings


Wandered around today, Sunday, in the rain. Ate my first gelato, saw huge statues that I had seen in art books all my life. There is something about seeing them in person that took my breath away. Had my first tripe sandwich. Found out where the next classes meet.





There are more women here in fur coats than I ever thought possible.


















There are very few tourists here, so if I walk into a store or restaurant for a second time it is like old home week. The owner comes out and is more than effusive, wanting to know if I want something new or the same as last time. I have had some wonderful meals, and am getting to know how to food shop.
The town was all abuzz yesterday with the story of the plane in the Hudson River in NYC. I must have heard the tale 5 times. Everyone wanted to share the story with the American. Strangely enough there have been very few questions about the presidential elections, unlike past years when I was quizzed repeatedly about Nixon or Reagan or Bush.