Sunday, January 18, 2009

easy day

Yesterday, Saturday, I had no classes, so I went to the market to buy balsamic vinegar. There were some 100 year old bottles available ... for 495 Euros for 50 ml. That is $657.83. As much as I lusted after that there was no way. I ended up with a bottle of 100ml 25 year old vinegar. It came in a lovely box, like a fine piece of jewelry. And it tasted very different from the balsamic that I have been buying at City Market. Then there was the first pressing olive oil ... that tasted wonderful. First pressing is cloudy and full of flavor.

I decided to go to a tiny restaurant and have a tiny meal. Still came to 25 Euros (~$33). I had mozzarella and bread, then gnocchi in gorgonzola on rocket. And, of course, a glass of chianti.

And I walked, got lost, got found and walked some more. Went to the English bookstore and traded in some paperbacks for new reading material. Took pictures of the dome ... again. (There is a collection of non cooking pictures here.) The museums close at 2pm and are mostly closed on Sundays, so I am out of luck for that. I will wander today (Sunday) also.